While assisting and training clients using QuickBooks, I frequently see a lot of inefficiency in how they enter dates. Here are some Date Keyboard Shortcuts in QuickBooks to make selecting the correct date easier.
- The year does not need to be entered. QuickBooks defaults to the current year (be careful when entering prior year, or next year transactions near year-end)
- If you do enter the year, only the last 2 digits are required.
- If the default date should be ‘today’ – just press the ‘t’ key (for ‘t’oday)
- To advance the date, press the ‘+’ (plus key) and the date will move forward by 1 day
- Press the ‘-‘ (minus key) to go backwards one day at a time.
You can find many more of these ‘keyboard shortcuts’ in the Help pages in QuickBooks, such as end/beginning of year or month.
Keyboard shortcuts are not just limited to dates but can be used for other activities depending on the page/activity.
A full list of keyboard shortcuts for QuickBooks can be found here.